I moved into my home a little over four years ago with only the little bit of furniture I used while living in apartments and townhouses the prior eight years in Baton Rouge. Needless to say, I didn’t have much. In the first few months of becoming a homeowner, I wanted so badly to see my home fill up with beautiful furniture pieces in an instant. While I had a vision, I soon realized that the reality of it all would take some time and a whole lot of patience. Looking back, I’m glad that Brett and I filled up our house one piece at a time, and now nearly four years later our house is “almost” completely furnished.
For those of you that don’t know, there is only one piece of furniture (not counting upholstered items) in our home that Brett has not built or refurnished. It’s easy to tell you that I love each piece entirely, but what warms my heart even further is that Brett used his creativity and own hands to mold each piece into what he thought would be the perfect fit for our home.
Every piece also shares a story, so tonight I wanted to share with you the tale behind one of the last pieces Brett recently refinished for our master bedroom.
Master Bedroom Dresser
To begin, you must know that I had showed Brett a few dressers that I really admired from West Elm and Restoration Hardware. But as you can imagine, the prices for each dresser ran upwards of $1,000 dollars. I knew that Brett could come up with a solution for a much better price – and so he did.
He purchased the dresser below from Wayfair for $250.
Then using the same technique as he did for our media console he applied a rectangle trim to each drawer.
To make sure that each rectangle was exact he used a self-made jig.
At this point, he also placed the hardware we had chosen from Pottery Barn onto the piece since we couldn’t agree on a paint color.
Unfortunately, the next few months were extremely busy for the both of us and this project got pushed to the side. We actually lived with the dresser the way it looks in the above picture for three months.
Eventually Brett and my dad routed a decorative edge on the top piece of the dresser. And then finally Brett and I agreed on a paint color – well sort of. Initially Brett had painted the piece a taupe color, but after drying it looked too purple for my liking. So, Brett and I agreed to play it safe by repainting it white.
Here is what the piece looks like today.
It never fails, Brett completely amazes me when he brings my vision to life. All together this project ran us around $400. It’s reasonably priced and was designed from the heart. Happy wife = happy life!